From: profox-boun...@leafe.com [mailto:profox-boun...@leafe.com] On Behalf Of
Rick Schummer
Sent: 19 April 2012 03:36
To: profox@leafe.com
Subject: RE: Is this right?

Hi Dave,

>> I've been running on Win7 64bit for nearly 2 years and haven't had any
>> quirks or problems here at all with VFP9.
In fact, as an O/S the 64bit is far superior, faster and can handle more tasks
as it can use more installed memory.<<

Agreed that the OS is superior. And pure VFP apps run fine. But there are a
couple of gotchas with 64-bit OS that might stump someone new to it for a bit.

1) ODBC Manager creates 64-bit connections that VFP cannot see. Simple
workaround is using the 32-bit ODBC Manager included with the OS.

2) FoxPro for DOS and Windows 2.6 need to run in virtualized machine. Works
fine in XP Mode as long as you are not locking records with VFP on the host
machine. Not common for most people, but there is a lot of FPD apps running out
there still. Crazy, but true.

3) Potential for some ActiveX controls not to work in 64-bit environment. For
instance, I used the standard ActiveX progress bar from a long time ago in a
VFP 5 app. Worked fine until the 64-bit OS as it failed on decimal values for
the percentage.

4) Not delivering VFP 9 with SP2 and latest hotfixes could pose some visual
trouble on Areo. Not unique to 64-bit, but it could be first OS past XP. Simple
to fix with latest SP2 and hotfixes.

5) Automation with the 64-bit Microsoft Office apps does not work. You need the
Office Apps to be the 32-bit version, which work fine on the 64-bit OS.

6) Window's SystemWOW64 folder instead of the System32 folder can be a problem
if you count on hardcoding the System32 folder looking for common DLL files.
(All new spin on DLL Hell).

Nothing is a showstopper, but things to watch out for when deploying.

In Christina's particular situation, it depends on the compatibility with the
QuickBooks API and how well it works in 32-bit on the 64-bit OS.

Rick
White Light Computing, Inc.

www.whitelightcomputing.com
www.swfox.net