On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 4:43 AM, Alan Bourke <alanpbou...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> The difference is that Microsoft had and has a virtual monopoly on the
> desktop. Apple does not have anything like a monopoly in the mobile or
> any other space.

Well, I think, too, it is a matter of deciding what business you are
in and making it clear how other companies can engage with you.

Until recently, AAPL was "Apple Computer" a company that made
computers and included software on them. The iPhone/iPod/iPad were
still primarily (premium-priced, beautifully designed) hardware,
although the add-on market (iTunes) turned into a monster of a
moneymaker and transformed the company. But they have been focused on
being the hardware designer for the digital lifestyle.

MSFT, Micro... what? Micro... SOFT started as a software company
writing BASIC interpreters, reselling XENIX and occasionally dabbling
in hardware (add-on boards for mice, CPM cards, then mice and
keyboards), but it's been software, especially Windows and Office,
that has been the vast majority of MS's revenue. They've diversified
into lots of things, as an enterprise of their size should, from MSN
to Hotmail to Azure. They sell development tools to get OEMs to write
apps that run on their OSes, but the focus has been licenses for their
OS and Office products.

So add-on markets for Apple have been focused on accessories for their
hardware and apps that run on their hardware and software. Microsoft
third-party markets have been apps that run on their OS, and hardware
that hosts their OS.

Apple tried going the OEM route, licensing their hardware to run their
OS. It didn't take long for them to realize they were giving away
their specialty and diluting the value of their products.

It will be interesting to see what comes next.

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC