On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 5:18 PM, Jeff Johnson <j...@san-dc.com> wrote:

> Ted:  Ring Central is a VOIP service and each phone requires a separate
> external visible IP address.

So, each of these machines is separately connected to the Internet.
That's two points of access worth worrying about. There are bad things
out there on the internet, and ideally, all machines should be behind
some industrial-strength protection, like a firewall.

>   If it were connected to a router then both
> phones would ring and their separation would be disabled.

No, not really. Great big corporations have VOIP and everyone's desk
doesn't have its own direct connection to the internet. The whole
point of a "router" is to _route_ incoming and outgoing packets
to/from the machine to which they should be sent. With VOIP, this is
non-trivial but not that hard to set up.

>   Wouldn't be
> my choice of set ups but the customer really likes it that way.  I am
> guessing that I can put an additional card in each computer and connect
> them to a router and they will talk to each other.  I am also guessing
> that the router does not need to be connected to the Internet.  Am I "warm?"

"warm-ish"

Since they already have a hardware guy, I would certainly let him/her
take responsibility for this. You want the Internet-side VOIP to be
routed to the VOIP application, and Windows share protocol packets
routed to the other network card for the internal network, and never
the twain to meet, or the entire internet might be reading your DBFs,
usually an undesirable outcome.

It's not pretty, but workable. Likely a little above your experience
level if you're not familiar with this, though you might ask to look
over the tech's shoulder so you can see how it's done.

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC