> Such a great achievement, and so ahead of its time.  Did this trend
> discontinue simply because M$ wanted to dominate the OS world and
> hence not want their softwares to run on non-Windows machines?

More because M$ dominated the OS world, and cross-platform
development is difficult. If you want to go back to the early '80s,
Lotus supplanted VisiCorp in the spreadsheet market because VisiCalc
only ran on the Apple II, while 1-2-3 ran on DOS.

Of course, as Microsoft acquired various software companies (like our
friends at Fox Software), they had a vested interest in making sure
their products only ran on Microsoft OSs.

-Jerry