So steve, are you saying that you are only in it to make a buck and to hell
with supporting your customers?

-----Original Message-----
From: ProFox [mailto:profox-boun...@leafe.com] On Behalf Of Stephen Russell
Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2013 9:34 AM
To: ProFox Email List
Subject: Re: [NF] The Tech Industry's Darkest Secret: It's All About Age

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 9:12 AM, Ken Dibble <krdib...@stny.rr.com> wrote:

>  Not sure it is funny or not.
>> I've been told that the automotive manufacturers must support their
>> products for 20 years which means keeping spare parts available.
>>
>> To me, that sounds like they are taking care of their customers.
>> Whereas the software industry seems to want to force new products on
>> their customers rather than maintain their existing products.
>>

> Virgil is right. It's not a matter of technical feasibility, it's a
> matter of (missing) business ethics and necessary regulation to enforce
them.
> ----------------

Are you nuts?  Would you decree that every product produced has to be
updated or only ones you pick for a list?  If you thought this was a good
idea who would make the list?  Dingbats in Washington?

Do you think that prices would have to increase on just about everything if
the producer had to keep fixing it for free?   Don't you see how this would
close down industry and just keep a monopoly in power as the only one who
could do this?

Please let me out of your economy.  I don't think I could afford it.

> In many US states, an auto mechanic can go to jail for telling a
> customer they need a repair that they don't in fact need. When was the
> last time any software manufacturer or vendor got jailed for telling a
> customer they "need" a software "upgrade" that they don't in fact need?
> ---------------

Really?  Sounds kind of far fetched.  Is it the mechanic  repair salesman,
shop manager, or dealer that goes to jail?  Somehow I would guess that it is
a fine for misrepresentation of need to the consumer.

> If we applied the same laws to software as we do to cars in this area,
> we would quickly find that the software manufacturers would have no
> more trouble complying with them than the auto mechanics do.

You wouldn't have any software companies because the market had too many
barriers to enter and or endure.

--
Stephen Russell
Sr. Analyst

901.246-0159 cell

--- StripMime Report -- processed MIME parts --- multipart/alternative
  text/html
---