From: ProFox [mailto:profox-boun...@leafe.com] On Behalf Of Ed Leafe
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2013 6:28 AM
To: ProFox Email List
Subject: Re: Help save SouthWest Fox!!

On Jun 20, 2013, at 8:07 AM, Ted Roche <tedro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> When we were actively developing VFP, Laura and I attended at least
> one conference a year, 1993-2004, and sometimes as many as five (!)
> and never, never did we feel a single one was a waste of the money we
> spent. In nearly every session, we would walk away with new knowledge
> we could apply to a customer situation or solve an existing issue. The
> contacts we made helped us reach out for help and support and brought in
business.

        For the bulk of my VFP career, I was an independent consultant. So
going to a conference meant paying my own registration, hotel, airfare,
meals, etc., and still I went to at least two a year: DevCon and at least
one regional conference. Like Ted, I can say that every one resulted in
either me growing as a developer, or making contacts that brought in more
business, or (usually) both.

        Since I've moved to the Python world, I attend as many conferences
as I can. I've been to the last 10 (wow! it's been that long!) US PyCons,
and in a week I head out to speak at PyCon Australia. One of the things that
attracted to me about Python was that there is a strong, vibrant community,
as strong as the VFP community ever was. At both VFP and Python conferences,
I've met interesting people and forged friendships that have lasted to this
day.

        So if you have an opportunity to go, even if it means a bit of
sacrifice, by all means go. You will not regret it.

-- Ed Leafe