Wow, the steam engines from the 1800's were better than those.

----- Original Message -----
From: GaryT <g...@taig.net>
To: profox@leafe.com
Sent: Friday, August 16, 2013 1:56 AM
Subject: Re: [OT] Modern Steam Train

On 16/08/13 06:47, Eurico Chagas Filho wrote:
> Not sure Pete, I thought it was Malaysia, but it is not.
> But the people look Asian.

My guess is China.

The uniforms are reminiscent of China under Chairman Mao. Their
engineering capability leaves a lot to be desired, clearly there is no
word (or funds) for maintenance, and regardless of it being uploaded
recently the video COULD BE quite old. Wild guess... upwards of 30-50
years; taken at a time when China was still very much a backward nation
of peasants ruled and down-trodden by Mao with SOME Western influence
entering their lives via the major cities.

BUT, that said, I wouldn't completely rule out a coal mine somewhere in
a back corner of China operating today in such poor conditions; two
things point in that direction. The clothing worn by the woman holding
the child by the rail line and the standard of the electricity supply.
The woman is dressed too much like a Westerner and if it were taken
several decades ago she would be more than likely dressed in a drab
fashion, more like the males. Women were not suppressed like Islamic
societies treat their women, but China did practise foot binding until
just a few decades ago.  I'm swaying towards it being more recent.

Agreed Eurico, it's not Malaysia.
Malaysia was very British (for 200 years) until recent times and there
is no way such elementary engineering would have existed in Malaysia
EVER. British rail standards would have influenced track laying and
those tracks are pathetic, in any language.

GaryT