On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 4:32 AM, Alan Bourke <alanpbou...@fastmail.fm>wrote:

> Hey, don't forget the One True Brace Style!

Yet another classic!

Function foo(bar) {
  * code
}

or:

Function foo(bar)
{
  * code
}

or worse!

SQL is another formatting nightmare. Whenever I'm using a "helpful" editor,
it rearranges the spacing.My design, while somewhat non-standard, is
easiest for me to read. I set it up so there's a single column of white
space down the entire statement, the first blank space in each line, lined
up on the space after select. So, the keywords are flush-right to the
eighth column, although the "BY in ORDER and GROUP slip over into the next
columns. THis way, I can use the left column as a table of contents into
the arguments on the right. Works for me. But any beautify or
smart-indenting program makes a mess of the whole thing.

SELECT myfieldlist
  FROM Table1
   JOIN Table 2
      ON join condition
   JOIN Table 2
      ON join condition
 WHERE filter condition one
    AND filter condition two
   GROUP BY fieldx
 HAVING aggregate condition
 ORDER BY field Y

It's pretty trivial for that example, but when there are fifty fields and a
dozen tables and an outer join or two and a subquery and the printout takes
three pages, every little thing you can do to help yourself figure out
what's going on helps!

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC