On Jan 8, 2014, at 7:37 AM, Malcolm Greene <pro...@bdurham.com> wrote:

> 1. Text editor: Textmate, BBEdit, or Emacs/VI?

If you know emacs or vi, stick with them - they're free and run great on Macs.
You might also check out MacVim, which adds mouse support to the normal vim
commands.

If you want a good pure-GUI editor, check out TextWrangler, the free little
brother of BBEdit.

> 2. Multiple external monitors: I think I can drive 2 or 3 off this
> machine using the Thunderbolt-2 interfaces and/or the HDMI port. Any
> recommendations on monitor specs (brand/size/model) to consider or
> avoid? Apple has some gorgeous monitors starting at $1000 - that's a
> little too pricey for me.

I have a Dell 23" monitor that I bought a few years ago for a couple of hundred
bucks, and it works perfectly. Be sure to run the 'Calibrate' function on the
Display Preferences Pane for whatever monitor you get - without it everything
looked kind of washed out and flat, but after running that, the display looks
great.

> Any other "gotta have" apps, utilities, or hardware accessories you
> would recommend?

LaunchBar - I can't work without it. App switching, clipboard history, file
inspection, calculator, ...
http://www.obdev.at/products/launchbar/index.html

TextExpander - auto-expand shortcuts into customizable text.
http://www.smilesoftware.com/TextExpander/index.html

If you get an external keyboard/mouse, I'd recommend trying the Magic Trackpad.
Once you learn the gestures, it makes working so much more fluid than with a
mouse.

-- Ed Leafe