Hey -- --

A long-time client (25 years!) called me up last week. Looking to update an
application I first wrote in FoxBase+ Mac. It ran on Mac & DOS together,
then Windows. I haven't touched it since converting it to VFP -- a long
time ago -- maybe VPF 5 or 6 (Gosh I'm having a hard time remembering which
was the first really stable release). They love what I did for them. It has
run *so* long, trouble-free. I can't believe how long they have been using
it.

They contacted me last week. Time for a rewrite. Naturally I'd like to do
it, and I certainly could use the business.

Well, the company has grown up, now Oracle and MS-SQL are the standard data
stores. I haven't "done" MS-SQL since moving to open source stuff. I think
the last version I had was -- (oh, crap, I just looked it up) -- 2000. I've
already downloaded "2012 Express" and am looking to play a bit with it this
week.

I suspect it will stay a desktop app, maybe with an extremely limited
public web component. This all just has to do with the nature of the
application and the demographics of the audience. I'll meet with them next
week. It doesn't sound like they will specify a front-end. I'm thinking
Python if it stays a desktop app.

Your opinions, please:

1. If they insist on Oracle, am I dead in the water? I've never touched it.
Cavalierly, I think it is just a SQL data base, and the data objects
undoubtedly exist to do basic data manipulation. But I know there is a ton
of admin -- I assume their DB admins can take care of this (?)

2. Ditto MS-SQL, given that I haven't touched it in 12-13 years?

3. If Python, is Dabo worth messing with? I played with it for a couple of
weeks when "the boys" were hard at work developing it, but that also has
been a long time ago. Ed, Paul? I looked at the Dabo-users archive and
there is activity.

Ken

multipart/alternative
  text/html