I've been recommending MSE since it came out and have had no problem with it
but I am now getting comments from friends that dealers are saying that it
is no good and that people should buy Norton - but they would wouldn't they
:-).  I'm also told that a magazine is saying that it is significantly worse
than AVG Free and Avast Free.  What does the team think?

I don't know if MSE can be configured to silently update its pattern files and engine software for "standard"/"restricted" users.

I use network-managed Avast because it does that reliably. I've never even seen it require a restart.

Ken Dibble
www.stic-cil.org