imo, the biggest reason to do it was to insulate/protect yourself from legal lawsuits. As a sole proprietor, they can take your personal stuff; as an LLC, they can't. IANAL so consult your legal counsel for direction.

On 2014-03-07 14:03, Mike Copeland wrote:
Paul, I'm sure you figured you would hear this from someone, but we
Inc'd back in 1999 and it was a lot easier than i anticipated. There
are many advantages, not the least of is that things are more clear
cut (divided) in pretty much every aspect of life and work. And, you
get the instant payoff of a deduction in your payroll tax!

Mike Copeland