From: ProfoxTech [mailto:profoxtech-boun...@leafe.com] On Behalf Of Paul McNett
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2014 10:17 PM
To: profoxt...@leafe.com
Subject: Re: UTC and why you should use it

On 6/12/14, 11:17 AM, Richard Kaye wrote:
> Rick's assertion is that you always store UTC values and then convert in the
> UI as needed. If it's important to know the TZ where the transaction took
> place then you should store that as another data element.

You gotta be flexible though. If the company has always stored its dates in
Pacific Standard Time, it may not make sense to switch to storing in UTC, given
all the legacy apps and databases that could be in use and would need to be
updated. By changing the policy, you've doubled the headache. As long as you
have a company-wide standard, UTC or whatever can be easily derived from that.

Paul