Adam Buckland wrote:
Working in logistics and having worked in direct marketing for my sins, I
would always add the county if you have it.

Postcodes can be entered incorrectly and deduced badly by software such as
Anadata. When I worked for a direct marketing house for a year we got data
from a bureau that had been ³corrected and set up for a system called mail
sort²   Every letter destined for Newport was postcoded and sorted for the
Isle of White rather than any of the other 9 Newports in the UK. Having
the county let us recode it correctly and charge the bureau a small
fortuneŠ
About 20 years ago I worked for a marketing company and worked on some routines for address processing and de-duping. <shudder> The more you got into it the more complicated it was. You could spend your whole life just trying to make your de-dupe routines better. Something that looks easy to the human eye is certainly not programmatically.

Peter