On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 5:06 PM, Paul McNett <p...@mcnettware.com> wrote:

>  6.       The software should support  SSL Certificates to secure end users
>> data access.
>>

> With the data centralized, the web server would access it, ideally from
> hardware on the same rack, so SSL probably isn't required for the traffic
> to and from the web server, but it's pretty standard in databases these
> days so once you have a cert, it would work but adds some overhead.
>
> For end-user to the web server via the browser, you'll need a different
> SSL certificate tied to the host name or names. I think the common practice
> these days is if SSL is needed in some parts of the site, use it everywhere
> to avoid unintentionally leaking stuff in plain http.
> -----------

This just ties the the App server, data server and web server together for
security.  We just did this little nightmare and it took more full days
than we expected, but we have 16 app servers in this upgrade and the
consultants from one team didn't know how the other team was setting up.
 They were telling us we needed to upgrade our domain to make it easy on
them.  We said not happening in 2014.

--
Stephen Russell
Sr. Analyst