On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 5:01 PM, Fernando D. Bozzo <fdbo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> The index for DELETED() is only justifiable if deleted records are more
> than 20% of the total records of the DBF.

I hadn't heard that figure quoted before.

This was discussed years ago in the magazines, including a great series by
Mac Rubel and a wonderful article by our host Ed Leafe. In concept, the
idea of having deleted tags was to avoid forcing the query engine to have
to read the entire physical table in order  to deterine which records
applied to the result set. On very large sets, avoiding a lot of
unnecessary reads would result in significant speedup. However, it depends
on so many factors: network latency, bandwidth and saturation, disk(s)
speed and seek time, amount of fragmentation, how much of the table is
already cached, size of the table, block size and so forth.

The most important point to remember is this: you must test your technique
on your data, on your network, under the real workload that the application
will experience. Otherwise, we are all just speculating.

> Not always the "full optimize" is the best option, and sometimes it takes
> more time than without this index.

True!

--
Ted Roche