I can live with not re-organizing the files. But this is very strange and it implies that something more serious is wrong somewhere.

Try putting SET("PROCEDURE") in your degugger and and breakpoint when it changes.

Thanks Peter.

As expected, during shutdown SET("PROCEDURE") changes to "" when CLOSE ALL is issued. The program then does:

ON ERROR
CLEAR PROGRAM
CLEAR WINDOW
CLEAR
ON SHUTDOWN
RELEASE ALL EXTENDED
CANCEL && Instead of "QUIT", so I don't lose the IDE when testing

At this point, control returns to my main form's Resize() method for reasons completely unknown to me. MainForm.Resize() calls a method on a class attached to the main form. That member class method calls the procedure in the procedure file that I described--whereupon the error occurs, IF the completely unrelated form definition is commented out in the procedure file.

Problem is, this sequence is identical with or without that form class definition in the general procedure file. However, if the class definition is present in the file, even though SET("PROCEDURE") returns "", the procedure call doesn't fail: either SET("PROCEDURE") lies in this case, or CANCEL causes the program not to care whether it can execute any remaining commands, even though it will attempt to run through them in the debugger (though at some point it gives up before it gets through all of them, and the debugger Trace Window empties out).

Thanks for any further thoughts.

Ken Dibble
www.stic-cil.org