Love your theories, both reasonable.

However, I think this is a case of marketing versions. I'll bet if we look
under the hood, it's something obscene like Windows 5.5.9876  or so. This
is the company that made:

Windows 3
Windows 3.11
Windows 95
Windows NT
Windows NT 3.51
WIndows 98
Windows NT 4
Windows Me
Windows 2000
Windows Vista
Windows 7
Windows 8

So, there's not a lot of allegiance to rational numbering. As one wit on
Twitter suggested [1]

"So, MS doesn't want Win10 to be WinX? If it wipes away the memories of
greasy fingerprints of Win8, perhaps they could try WindX?"

[1] https://twitter.com/tedroche/status/519845882322104321