Alan Bourke wrote on 2015-05-27:
>  Useful to have in the armoury however (a) That's XBase++ and may or may
>  not apply to VFP and (b) I've never had to do what it mentions, in other
>  words the implication from them is that you MUST do it, and maybe you do
>  with XBase++, but you don't necessarily with VFP.

Alan,

After reading a response I got from Christof some months ago, I really think
these SMB caching issues are related to how the files are opened and used on
workstations.  http://leafe.com/archives/msg/497230

I believe the XBase++ files are still Indexed Sequential Access Method
(ISAM), or separate files for each table.
See
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/explore-the-differences-between-isam-and
-relational-databases/ for more details on ISAM.

When the program is written to work in a disconnected flow, the problems are
less likely to occur. My programs were designed and implemented in a
connected manner. Our customers see issues from SMB caching and locking, as
well as our online hosting of customers data get this behavior.

Tracy Pearson
PowerChurch Software