On Sat, Dec 19, 2015 at 3:54 PM, Gary <g.jeur...@charter.net> wrote:
> Over all goals: turn lights, fans on/off (dim if possible) and addressable
> music-movies with voice command.
>
> I would hate to give up my CURRENT system.

I completely agree with this. While every developer hates to let go of
their creation, there's also a lot of pleasure in working with a
familiar system, being able to alter it to do new stuff or improve
what it does. Throwing out the old working system for the new shiny
'cloud' thingie is a fool's errand.

That said, you also want to balance out the risks of your equipment
going obsolete and becoming unreplaceable.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/amazon-echo-ringmaster-of-the-home-automation-iot-circus/

seems to indicate there's a growing market for direct
Alexa-to-home-automation equipment, but I'd be skeptical of just one
brand equipment. Recently, I heard one of the light manufacturers sent
out an 'update' to their equipment that locks their APIs from working
with other manufacturers. That stinks.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20151214/07452133070/lightbulb-drm-philips-locks-purchasers-out-third-party-bulbs-with-firmware-update.shtml

> Each day I set my media truth table... what's on & off and current volume
> level) then I run everything with apps (a lot of nice macros that can pull up
> various music play lists and call specific channels and movies... hoping to
> add additional 'movies stored as 'example.iso' and 'songs.mp3' stored on a
> drobo5n  (and used as a big networked media hard-drive).

Man, you are way ahead of me. I have to use two different remotes just
to watch TV at night. And the gf still throws them at me once a week,
"Fix it!" when they get out of sync...'

> After a request is made, the database turns on and off the needed devices
> calls up the requested media (with occasional error as IR commands and X10
> commands are occasionally missed or ignored). Then there is an issue of being
> in bed and making requests on my media server as reclining quads and
> universal remotes are clumsy tasks. (I have been using cheap but nifty
> icon-remotes with learning capability from x10.com but are no longer
> available (their keys would break down after a year or so but were so cheap
> I'd always keep a spare).
>
> Alexa is very responsive and since all I really need to do is send specific
> commands to com ports to trigger lights, fans, and pc to ir linc commands.
> I'd hate to trash all my smart macro's via fox-pro that make descisions based
> on my truth table. I thought the IFTT stuff looked the most likely to DIY any
> solutions for tasks and future add-ons.

I agree, and I'd probably start with Alexa and IFTTT. Take a look at
some of the recipes already there, and use them to send a message to
yourself, maybe an email or a web post (if you have a working web
server) and see (1) if you can get the message across and (2) how
reliable it is about sending the messages.