Well, get some of the files that throw the error and autopsy them.

You said the line that creates the file uses COPY. Usually, there's a
little more to the line than that. TYPE CSV, XLS, or XL5?

And the source of the data? It's likely a SQL-SELECT or similar
command, and it probably includes some calculations. A division by
zero or transform could cause an overflow condition (Not a Number) or
a picture clause overflow.

Try using IMPORT to read the file back in and see what you get. Open
the file in a hex editor (there's one in Fox) to see what's in the
file.