On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 7:05 PM, M Jarvis <brewda...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm working up a proof-of-concept thing to add to our report writing
> engine, that being the ability to export our text based reports into a PDF.
> I know how to do the FDF creation part of this (thanks again Ted) but I
> seem to be coming up short in a couple of areas.

Glad to help.

> I am using LibreOffice to create my PDF template file, and not sure if the
> problem lives in there or not. I add a textbox control to a document, save
> as PDF, and later the FDF merge works just fine.

Are you using pdftk to do the PDF-FDF merge? If so, there are a couple
of commands starting with "dump" that can tell you a little bit more
about what pdftk is seeing in the document, perhaps a clue.

> BUT if the text starts
> getting any longer than what fits into the textbox as I've laid it out in
> the PDF, scroll bars appear and the textbox doesn't expand. I'm not saying
> it *should* do so automatically, but I can't figure out how to do that or
> even if it's possible.
>
> Or, is there some other control available to LibreOffice I might try using
> that lets me FDF merge in files of large size?

The student has exceeded the teacher :) My customers use CutePDFPro
for all of the PDFs they need to turn into data-fillable ones.

> In a perfect world there wouldn't be any control visible to the user at
> all, just the text of the report.

In LibreOffice, with the textbox control selected, you can right-mouse
click over an existing textbox, select "Control" and get a property
page where you tell it to be multi-line and turn off the scroll bars,
but I don't see an option to "rubber-band" the length

> Some of our reports can be several thousand pages for Year-End stuff and
> all that...
>
> Installing any software such as CutePDF or other to help drive this isn't
> an option at this time.

Don't you hate it when you're backed into a corner, but you can't use
the tool that would solve the problem?

--
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC
http://www.tedroche.com