At 07:08 2018-11-07, Ted Roche <tedro...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 5:57 AM Dave Crozier <dcroz...@flexipol.co.uk> wrote:

> Unknown to me after all these years, the set default to command has an
> effect on the whole of the VFP thread not just the DataSession you are in.

To quote my co-author, "Computer language purists object to SET commands
for a pretty straightforward reason: the formation of the infinite-state
machine. Although that sounds cool,..." (
https://www.tedroche.com/hackfox7/s4g126.html)

That URL was wrong in your post as it included the closing paren. Oddly, Eudora excluded it in this reply.

SETs often have global effects which make their local use frustrating.

     I have not found it so, but one must be careful.

If I change a global setting SET (as opposed, say, to a SET ORDER), I either set the setting back as soon as I can or I have a procedure for doing the modified function requiring the different SET value. One must be careful about this stuff.

Three things:

1. If you were rewriting the app, you'd store a "Data Directory" in your
global settings table and precede all your file open commands with that.
That makes it INCREDIBLY easy to have a test mode that just switches that
setting. But you're not re-writing your app, so...

I did that for a few programs where I needed to get to a different set of data. I am glad that it was only a few.

[snip]

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko