Richard,
what you describe is a matter of personal taste.
There is no overhaed in building a cursor with select * from myData where
unpaid<>0 into cursor curUnpaid  vs set fillter to unpaid <> 0 in myData.
I, personaly, would prefer #1 in the enduser environment environment# 2 in
my development environment - version(2)#0 vs version(2)=0.
There is also no need to call a select() statement an overhead.
Regards,
Koen