On Aug 13, 2024, at 08:31, Alan Bourke <alanpbou...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> The thing about Outlook automation is that its days are probably numbered in
> the medium to long term. Once the 'new' Outlook client is the default and the
> current native application is unsupported none of the MAPI or Object Model
> stuff will apply anymore. Using the Outlook Graph API is probably the future
> for this sort of requirement.

Speaking of the "New Outlook", I asked perplexity.ai how to disable quoting in
that version. Its reply:

> In the "New Outlook," there is currently no built-in setting to turn off
> quoting of the entire message when replying. Unlike the classic Outlook,
> which provides options under the "File" tab to manage how original messages
> are included in replies, the "New Outlook" lacks this feature. Users have
> reported that there is no straightforward way to set up automatic quoting or
> to disable it entirely in the new interface.As a workaround, you can manually
> delete the quoted text after hitting reply, or copy and paste only the
> specific parts of the message you wish to include in your response.
> Unfortunately, until Microsoft updates the "New Outlook" with more
> customizable reply settings, these manual methods are the primary options
> available.

I've always suspected that Microsoft adopted this approach not because it was
useful to users, but because it bloated the storage requirements for a business
running Exchange, forcing companies to pay lots more money for storage.

-- Ed Leafe