On Jan 10, 2007, at 2:44 PM, MB Software Solutions wrote:

> I've heard Ed or Ted mention this before, too.  Not sure how this
> might
> adversely affect someone, though?

        This has been the case in MySQL since I started using it.

        The main effect is that if it won't impact storage too much, use all
fixed-width columns. For obvious reasons, fixed-length records make
for faster searches, so don't use variable-length columns unless a)
the storage benefits are worth it or b) getting every nanosecond of
search speed isn't mission-critical.

-- Ed Leafe
-- http://leafe.com
-- http://dabodev.com