Hal Kaplan wrote:
> I know Ed does not like lawyers but I do not know why.  It really is a shame
> how 95% of the profession makes things bad for the other 5%.

Excellent!
> IMHO, the real problem with computer "professionals" is that they are NOT.
> Unlike other professionals, computer pros do not share a common educational
> background, participate in any kind of regulated/documented journeyman
> program, and are not tested or licensed by a government body charged with
> protecting the public safety (usually the state education department).
>
> In New York City, for example, PLUMBERS have a more rigorous career path than
> programmers or database admins or network admins.
That's because plumbing changes very little, so a standard set of skills
and exams can be developed and honed over time.  With computing
everything changes too quickly for these things to take shape.  By the
time you have become an NT guru it is out of date.  Your MCSD etc. does
not have an unlimited life span.  Changing hardware also does not help.
> Hell, even I qualify as a computer professional .... ME !!!!!!!!
Let's not go overboard ;-)

Just my .02

Peter