> Bill was a grunt during 'Nam and has a lot of bugaboos for which I
> sympathize with him.

Actually, I was trained as an engineer, but then volunteered for a
program called 'combined action' which was the Marine Corp's Big Idea on
how to deal with an insurgency. The approach is still mainstream USMC
thinking today, but it's just folly.

Here's a classic: http://www.wjarnold.com/downloads/smilingvc.bmp. I'm
sure it's the same thing in Iraq.

I wish I would have kept a copy of my favorite cartoon of all time. It
ran in the WSJ some years back. It depicted some survivors crawling out
of the ruins and up to a "distinguished panel of experts" with a caption
along the lines of "just what we need ...".

<clipped>

Bill