>>> I'm getting a new pc with a 250G HDD.
>
>>> I thought I'd just have software installed on the "C" drive, and everything
>>> else on the "D" drive.
>
> Personally, I have two hard drives(dual 200GB SATA's I bought years
> ago)-- the C:\ drive I use for system and anything I can lose, and if
> something's really important and I don't want to lose it, I put it on
> D:\(seperate physical drive). I tried mirror'd raid(hardware and
> software) before, but it was too slow for my tastes. Having two
> physical drives lets you backup from one to the other as well, along
> with your less frequent network/tape/DVD backup. I now have a slick
> rsync setup to sync changed files to a small linux box I built for
> that purpose(and the super-important stuff to an off-site server via
> the internet).

That would be even better, but the OP said one drive.

>> Which is, of course, the way it ought to be. Stupid MSFT never cared
>> about segregating software and data, burying user data and settings in
>> the bowels of the C drive. (rant note: Linux, by design, keeps these
>> things separate, which is one reason I took to it so comfortably.)
>
> Most Linux distribs, and even many Linux 'gurus' I've talked to in
> recent years don't bother with partitioning the way we did in the
> past. No seperate /, /boot, /var, /home/, /usr/, and swap. Most say
> just / and swap.

I must disagree - you gotta have /home on a separate partition. That way
you can mess with the rest of the box and not touch /home. If your box
is still running RH 6 and you haven't reinstalled in 7 years, then,
yeah, you could live that way, but.... <s>

I don't do the /var, /usr, etc. partitions because it gets too hard to
guess how big each needs to be. Although FC's lvm makes resizing easier,
well, just not my personality.

>> I move mysql and such to a /home/data dir.)
>
> But mysql data is constantly accessed data, spool, and log files,
> which would typically be in the /var partition by general Linux
> partitioning rules(or at least those of 2.0 kernel when I last
> bothered)...

Yeah, I know. You point them all to the same place, basically replacing
/var with /home/data. A little bit easier, but this is personal preference.

The bottom line, for me, is to keep data on a separate partition. On a
separate drive, even better. A separate box (file server??? <s>) even
better...

It does NOT belong in c:/documents and settings and all sorts of other
garbage/. <s>

Whil