Vince Teachout <> wrote:
> Chester Friesen wrote:
>> I have an app in VFP7 that I need to sort on group totals. Is that a
>> job for VFP9? Forget it for VFP7?
>> Now, the report looks nice, but needs the totals sorted on each
>> group. I have tried a 2 pass routine, but it's not really working
>> right. I don't know if this is enough info to give me some ideas or
>> not.
>>

> I must not be understanding the problem.  This works fine for me in
> vfp7:
> SELECT stylename,  sum(units) as sumall FROM gmoodet GROUP BY
> stylename ORDER BY sumall
>
> Or, sometimes when I do have problems sorting on a column becuase "no
> such column", I can use positional  sorting:
> SELECT stylename,  sum(units) as sumall FROM gmoodet GROUP BY
> stylename ORDER BY 2

Unless of course you have details in your report and you want to have the
HIGHEST subtotal on top, page 1 and then the next as the data rolls.

You need a two table solution with a relationship between them if I have
described the issue properly.

HTH

Stephen Russell
DBA / .Net Developer

Memphis TN 38115
901.246-0159

"A good way to judge people is by observing how they treat those who
    can do them absolutely no good." ---Unknown

http://spaces.msn.com/members/srussell/

11:30 PM