> > To me, the biggest problem was that rpm doesn't work, and trying to
> > compile on my own, I was always chasing mis-matched libraries. Sure
> > made installing something as simple as apache and php and mysql a
> > headache... And forget anything less mainstream without a big
> > headache... Maybe they fixed things since, but that's the bad taste I
> > have of RH.

> Things have improved significantly since. Wow.

My problem was this only a year or so ago on FC4 I think it was, which
was the standard version the ISP was installing at the time...

> For example, the MySQL/PHP thing you mention is less than a no-brainer.
> Select 'development' in the software selection screen, and you're done.
> FC6 takes care of EVERYTHING (except having to modify httpd.conf.) Sweet.

If you actually are the one to install, yes. In my situation, the ISP
installed and I just logged into a box and had to install any extra
software-- I believe I had to replace apache 1.x or something, IIRC...

I kinda like Debian's/ubuntu's individual file based site
configuration for apache-- instead of editing one big httpd.conf, ya
just edit one file for each site config and use a script to
enable/disable them very easily. I wonder if there's a simple script
that makes it easier to setup, including setting alternate log file
pathing, etc... If I did it more than a couple times I could write
one...

> > Ubuntu, which I installed recently(GUI in VM and server on an actual
> > computer) showed me that all distribs don't have to be that messy and
> > headache-prone to get anything done. I just use apt-get and get things
> > done. I've never configured a Linux box faster than my current Ubuntu
> > box(used for web serving, samba, postfix mail server(with dovecot
> > imap, clamav, spamassassin, etc.), rsync backup repository, etc.

> I would like to like ubu but my last experience, well, like Def in The
> Italian Job said, "I HAD a bad experience." Ubu didn't like my
> ThinkPads, and when my only choice was to punt to a terminal (during an
> INSTALL of a user-friendly DESKTOP?), the terminal window was 1" tall by
> 2" wide, partially off the screen, the font was something like 5 point
> san serif, and the carriage return didn't work.
>
> Translation: I HAD a bad experience.

Indeed. And that will plague Linux distribs forever, hence my
less-than-thrilling experience with RH.

> > XP sans SPs is not pretty?

> Well, maybe pretty in the same way a $10 hooker who's never been to a
> doctor is pretty.

XP with or without SP's looks pretty much the same, from what I've
seen. Except SP2 adds that flashy icon that keeps nagging me until I
disable it...

> > I rarely complain; I just fix it or move on. I'm still running XP on
> > my laptop and primary desktop at home and Ubuntu on a server for the
> > above mentioned purposes. I also have a W2K dedicated server hosted in
> > Dallas, TX(www.servermatrix.com). If I have a need for another OS, I
> > use VMware...

> I complain all the time. :) I think it's a reflex from having been
> married 30 years with 5 kids. Newton's Fourth Law and all that.

Learned it from your wife? :)

--
Derek