You don't have to give ringing endorsements.  Just say you don't like it and
won't use it, but don't make unfounded assertions as to usability, etc.
That's all he's (and I'm) saying, but you can't do that, can you?

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Ed Leafe
Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2007 1:39 PM
To: ProFox Email List
Subject: Re: [NF] Daylight Saving Time, automated Time Synch

On Mar 17, 2007, at 1:26 PM, Stephen the Cook wrote:

>>      FWIW, I've looked at .Net when it was first introduced, and then
>> again when the 2.0 version came out. If I was forced to develop in
>> it, I wouldn't hate it, but since I'm aware of much better ways of
>> doing the same things, I wouldn't feel it was the best use of my
>> time.
>
> I give up Ed, what did your look entail?  Did you knock out an app
> or three?
> Were they win form or web based?  Honestly what did you do for an
> eval?

        Does it matter what I answer? I'm sure that anything short of a
ringing endorsement will be viewed as "you didn't give it a fair
chance".

        But yes, I created a basic winforms app similar to a Java app I had

created a few years ago. I used C# because it is, shall we say,
"inspired" by Java. While the environment is very rich, I found the
syntax and program flow as clunky and inelegant as I did Java.

>>      I have gone to several conferences with a lot of .Net users, though,
>> and I always ask a) what platforms do you regularly work with and b)
>> what other development options did you consider before .Net? Care to
>> hazard a guess as to what the answers almost always are?
>
> Is that important, or a desire?  I don't really care myself.

        I wasn't replying to you; I was replying to John Baird's implication

that anyone who doesn't embrace .Net has "drunk from the bottle" of
anti-MS bigotry. My point is that the .Net crowd is overwhelmingly
single-platform and single-vendor, not the other way around; if
anyone is brainwashed...

> Your heart desires to not do M$ and then you piss on those of us
> who do.

        Piss on you? I just got called a brainwashed bigot, and I'm pissing

on you?

        Geez, you guys have the thinnest skins around.

> Some of us don't care past doing a good job for the customer/client.

        And some only care that the solution puts the most money in their
pocket, whether it's good for the client or not. What do you call
those people? "Data Ho"s?

-- Ed Leafe
-- http://leafe.com
-- http://dabodev.com