We took the trains from ingolstadt to Munich and back
several times while I was in Germany.

We loved the cleanliness and convenience of the trains
as well as the Munich subway.

However.

In the US there is no real rail alternatives and
people are not going to get behind rail travel except
for limited point to point destinations.

Taking the train from NJ to Washington DC is good, but
there's no way to get from here to Louisville without
going through Chicago.  So it's either bus, plane or
car.

Additionally, rail is almost as expensive as flying.