This is the response from Microsoft (VFP team) I did include it in my
post earlier.

Robert,

Thank you for your keen interest in this.

If you have applications deployed at locations that are planned for
migration to Vista, upgrading to VFP9 is your best short-term measure.
VFP9 has stood up to our tests quite well. We will be addressing the
remainder of the issues in the upcoming service pack.

>Where are we meant to go now?

This is always a very difficult question to answer. The VFP engine will
continue to run for a long time. We have customers that are still
running FoxPro for DOS. That version has not been supported for several
years. End of a support cycle does not mean that the product will stop
working.

The engine is quite stable and has been for a long time. Most of the
enhancement requests we get are in the areas that are written in XBase.
We announced that these will become part of a shared-source community
driven effort. I am sure these will continue to evolve.

Sedna, the upcoming release, contains API that allow you to interoperate
with the .NET framework as well as Vista. We are also working on
guidance for working with Office 2007. These elements and a set of
publications on MSDN are meant to help transition to .NET.

>What language are we going to have to now develop in?

This too is a difficult question to answer. We have provided some
guidance and will continue to develop more, to help you adopt .NET. The
.NET for Visual FoxPro section on MSDN has several useful links.
(http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vfoxpro/bb190277.aspx). I would be
happy to help answer your questions, or point you to other experts in
these areas within Microsoft.

>Is there going to be an alternative or will Microsoft Sell VFP to
another software house to keep the RDBMS and  Programming Language
alive? If not, is the DBMS still going to be available after 2015?

There are currently no plans to sell VFP.

>After 2015, will the MS OS'es not support VFP runtime?

Unfortunately I cannot say, at this time. Existing VFP 9 SP2 deployments
will certainly continue to work on today's operating systems even after
2015. However, it is not possible to guarantee compatibility with future
Operating Systems.

>What are plans for Operating System support for the VFP Runtime in the
future?

See response to prev question.

>Will VFP still run after 2015?

Yes. On existing platforms VFP will run.

What are the risks to business, if they still use VFP after 2015?

VFP will not be supported beyond 2015. We have several users still using
FoxPro for DOS. These companies have evaluated their risks with this and
have not migrated for several years. In speaking to them, we have heard
that they have not seen the need to migrate at all. This is certainly
not the course we recommend. However, you should evaluate your own
risks, and determine the your strategic roadmap for migration and tech
adoption.

>What is Microsoft's official thoughts on a migration path from VFP?

See response above. We recommend migrating to the .NET platform. The
paths, phases and deployment strategies are different for each company.

>Do you know how much a total re-write is going to cost businesses? I
think that possibly at least 5 Man years will be our cost to change our
suit of products over to a new platform. It is certainly a worrying time
for us small businesses that have relied on VFP as our language of
choice. It gave us an upgrade path from Dbase/Clipper, was an excellent
RDBMS with much better performance than Access and kept the excellent
Xbase language alive.

>Are you forcing everyone to go to SQL server (expensive, per seat
costs, makes our application more expensive to end users)  or Access
databases (limited users, poor performance)

Just as applications migrated from Dbase/Clipper or Paradox, so would
they from Visual FoxPro. There is certainly no requirement to make this
transition immediately.

Enterprise Editions of SQL Server do have a price point. However, these
are meant for enterprise scale data, and applications that have higher
demands on reliability, security and scalability. Often these
applications depend on other auxiliary services such as replication and
analysis services, etc.

If your application does not demand this scale, SQL Express and SQL
Server Compact Edition are both excellent alternatives. Both are free
and very robust.

>I have heard in groups that .Net projects are failing and companies out
there are turning .Net projects into VFP to get them working and
delivered. Can you comment on that?

Unfortunately I am not aware of this data. We would be very interested
in working with companies that have moved from .NET to VFP, to help
understand the roadblocks and definitely help clear them.

>I would like your thoughts on all of the above so I can face some tough
decisions.

I do understand that you face a tough decision. In making this
announcement the VFP team also faced a tough challenge. The team has
core members that have worked with Fox for more than 20 years.

Please let me know if I can assist you with your migration.

Thanks.

>From Microsoft

So, there you have it. Microsoft say, go to .Net and they don't know
exactly when Windows will stop running the VFP runtime.

Robert