Did you try to "repair" the wireless connection it got?

Did you try to refresh the list of available connections and then
disconnect, reconnect?

Sometimes the router can get hung up and needs rebooting.  If all else
fails, try rebooting the router (if you can).

Is there any encryption - WEP or ??? - if so, are you sure you've got
the right password?

If the router's ok and the laptop's ok, they should connect.