From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Ed Leafe
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2007 7:43 AM
To: ProFox Email List
Subject: Re: [OT] Perspective

On May 9, 2007, at 8:24 AM, Stephen the Cook wrote:

> Prayer is an act of respect.  A value that is no longer present in the
> public school system today.

        That is the stupidest statement I've seen on the list in a while.
Even stupider than Virgil's, and he's come up with several whoppers.

        Children are completely free to pray whenever they like. There is
nothing in the law that forbids this, and in fact there are several
court rulings that reinforce this.

        What is prohibited is that government employees (we *are* talking
*public* schools here) may not direct the children in religious
activities. Oh, yeah, they can pray too, as long as it is done
privately and not in their role as teacher or administrator. This is
where the word "respect" comes into play: public schools, as part of
the government, must respect the wishes of the families of their
students and not attempt to impose any employee's beliefs on the
students.

        Also, you imply that all was well in the world when kids were forced

to conform to the teacher's or the administrator's religious
practices, even when they weren't shared by the student and their
family. I hope I don't have to remove the rose-colored filters on
your history books.

-- Ed Leafe
-- http://leafe.com
-- http://dabodev.com