Alan-

I think you raise an excellent point and a very possible one. I'm
completely baffled at how poorly Vista handles so much of the
existing software. Notice I didn't say surprised! :)

It's not that hard a stretch to see that backwards comparability
might not work nearly as smoothly going forward as it has for the
last 20 years. I wouldn't be surprised at all in fact if that were
the case. "The industry" wants us to push forward, buy faster new
computers, write "the same" applications over and over again and sell
them to our clients. This is what keeps "the industry" going.. I
personally think it's despicable! I can't in good conscience ask my
client to pay again for something they already paid for that doesn't
offer anything new (or new enough to justify the cost).

Very very fortunately for us, virtual machine technology has arrived
just in time to save us from this problem!

Using a VM we can run Windows 2000 or XP 'forever' to run our VFP
apps on. No comparability issues what so ever, as the OS is still the
same as what we wrote the apps to run on. I'm oversimplifying of
course, as bugs in the emulation can introduce problems (though I
haven't seen any but in theory is possible), but even still VM
software will continue to get better and better as I believe it will
dominate the IT world for years to come.

So I'm very optimistic about the future of our apps written today in
VFP because with VM's in our future, I see no reason they will cease
to operate properly for years and years to come despite how many ways
Microsoft tries to kill or at least screw up comparability with older software.

-Steve