On 5/25/07, Paul Newton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I need a quick heads-up on getting accented letters (acute, grave,
> circumflex, umlaut) etc to appear properly in a browse window.  I have
> pasted some text (from a web page) into a field in a table in a browse
> window and it is not appearing properly.  Do I need to set one or more
> of (i) code page, (ii) font, (iii) script ?  I have tried several
> options without success ...

Are these characters available in your Windows ANSI codepage?  I guess
you're using Windows 1252 (Western European).  See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows-1252

When pasting text from a Unicode application (like a browser) Windows
will try to convert the Unicode characters using the current ANSI
codepage.  If your codepage does not support a particular character it
will be converted into something else.  e.g. 'a' with an umlaut will
be converted into a plain 'a'.

I've been having fun with codepages recently!

On a related note I found this tool today:
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/tools/apploc.mspx

"The AppLocale utility allows users to run a legacy application
without changing to the code-page/system locale needed by that
particular application. AppLocale emulates the code-page required by
that legacy application without changing the machine's system locale.
"

Very handy.  When testing different languages here and I needed to
reboot each time I made a change.  VirtualPC helped but I still needed
to reboot the virtual machine.

--
Paul