On May 26, 2007, at 9:01 PM, Kenneth Kixmoeller/fh wrote:

> On the other side of the coin, do we who are sole practitioners or in
> very small shops price out jobs knowing that it can't be done. Or
> believing that it can, if we "eat" some learning time (a *lot* of
> learning time)? I know that I have done this, though I always
> underestimate just how much "a lot" is going to be.

        I don't take these sorts of jobs. If I don't think it can be done
the way the client is asking, I'll tell them that, and explain why.
If they insist, well, they're not a client I want.

> I am just musing about the spectrum of processes, from "seat-of-the-
> pants" to "Big-8, professional project manager." Where on the
> spectrum is the best for a small shop? And (back to the original
> musings), would a client pay for a process which involves all of the
> steps and checks that "doing it the right way" would involve?

        That's one of the "forced" benefits of requiring licensing. When you
build a building, you don't get the choice of using Cousin Ernie who
thinks that you can span 50' using 2x6s butt-joined together;
building codes require you to prove to the locale that your design is
correct.

        There's no analogous "proof" in software; no metric that says, for
example, that under 100,000 tpm a method will work, but fail under
higher loads. So a screening process, like we have for engineered
designs, is probably not possible. But perhaps a process akin to the
Better Business Bureau, where complaints about shoddy workmanship/
practices are reviewed and made public, might be a good first step.

-- Ed Leafe
-- http://leafe.com
-- http://dabodev.com