Leland, I can't, quickly anyway, seem to locate an overview, but one of
IBM's redbooks describes SMP with a few words:

"Chapter 3 describes OS/390 SMP/E which is a tool designed to manage the
installation of software products on your OS/390 system and to track the
modifications you make to those products."
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/SG245653.html?Open

Substitute "Linux" for "OS/390" in the above, is what I'm saying. Not
impossible. IBM has done this with z/OS
http://www-306.ibm.com/common/ssi/rep_ca/7/897/ENUS201-257/index.html

Here's a book that describes the rules for packaging products and
maintenance for MVS using SMP
http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/epubs/pdf/gim25x00.pdf

That that I'm saying anyone should read these specific rules, because
it's for a specific OS, but to point out that such a reference does
exist and that one can be made for Linux as well.

This approach to product packaging, delivery, installation and
maintenance has served IBM very well over the years, and it's something
that can work to our great advantage (unless we like dealing with
solving compatibility problems) if it works out this way.

And the whole thing can be automated, fed over the net (as the 2nd
reference above talks about, for z/OS).

Bill