Someone just getting started in programming today has a lot to learn,
and the best way I know to put someone on the right path is with a
structured approach that covers the basic five things I mentioned.  If
someone new got started with VFP, for example, they would have Project
Management, Version Control, the vfp language, the vfp database, a good
editor, a method to package, distribute and protect the source code, etc.

With web based development thing get a little more complicated as
several language must be mastered and merged within an application like
html, css, xml, javascript, perl, php, python, java, etc.  Also, the
appropriate editor must be mastered.  The individual modules, classes,
graphics, icons, etc must be managed within the overall project.  Then
there is the OS and the web server to learn.  A framework like vfp,
Activestate perl pro studio, and Zend Studio can be very helpful for the
beginner in getting everything put together in a structure way, as well
as for learning best practices in program development.  Such tool are a
necessity for the career programmer.

If not threatened by vendor lock, a newbie could get started with the
dot.net framework, which has everything already built in.

Regards,

LelandJ