Well, it does not "die" with it, but if it sees a significant change with
the HW it may require you to reactivate it and maybe explain it away to a M$
tech as a replacement motherboard in the same PC.  Could get edgy.  I would
opt for the full version of XP Pro were it not for my MDSN subscription.
Have you looked into getting the MSDN license through the M$ Independent
Software Vendor (ISV) Empower program?  I think it is $375 for all OS and
apps for multiple machines used to develop M$ based solutions.  At the end
of the year the monthly updates stop, but you can keep using the OS/Apps.

Gil