Thanks to all that responded.

Ted - I'll try BLAT.  I selected Essmtp because it seemed straightforward
and worked really well on my machine.  I know the username and password are
correct - I set them up!  Thinking about that though - I don't set a
password or username anywhere, either on their machine or mine.  I'm using
code cribbed from Alan Bourke which was in turn cribbed from Craig Boyd's
blog.  Alan's code refers to a domain setting in the comments but it is not
set anywhere in live code.  Craig's code doesn't mention it at all and
neither have any form of username or password.  I modified Alan's code to
put my own values in it and it ran straight off.  The from address was my
domain which uses a forwarding service, it is not my actual email address.
All very odd.

John Weller
01380 723235
07976 393631