On Dec 6, 2007, at 12:28 PM, mrgmhale wrote:

> Foolish or not, the impact of running in DOS/Windows for so many years
> leaves me with hefty dose of CautionItis as a footprint in my mind.

        Exactly. Imagining ghosts...

> I figure running AV-Mac could not really hurt anything.

        Who needs CPU cycles?

> And if it turns out
> it is not really not needed for me, perhaps it would be more
> helpful for
> eMails I may receive and forward that have an infected attachment that
> impacts Windows OS only.

        Why would you be manually forwarding infected emails?

> If that eMail winds up in someone else's incoming
> box and infects their Windows PC I would feel awful (especially a
> family
> member or client - my friends all know better <g>).  So if nothing
> else I
> would like to try to take steps to stop the potential for passing
> infected
> attachment eMails to others even though my future Mac is impervious
> to any
> such attack.

        Are you sure that Norton AV Mac even does this? Wouldn't it make
more sense to check your emails for suspicious attachments before
forwarding them?

> So, in that case being a fool is me just trying to be
> considerate, and making an effort to not be help responsible for
> passing on
> something bad to anyone else in case their defenses are weak.

        You might want to go with something with a better reputation than
Norton. Here's one: http://www.clamxav.com/ It's a Mac (i.e., Gui-
fied) front end to ClamAV, the AV software I run on the server that
screens every email coming through my system.

-- Ed Leafe
-- http://leafe.com
-- http://dabodev.com