Rick,

> >> It's a good thing, but I don't understand the need for paper.<<
>
> That is because you are thinking like a North American Bill
> <g>. According to Rainer, overall Germans (and Europeans if I
> remember correctly) prefer paper and this is why he is
> offering everyone a choice. He has the background statistics
> to prove it based on offering people an electronic version
> and paper version of his conference materials. Honestly, I
> think there are even people in the western hemisphere who
> prefer paper copies. I will print it out so I can read it on
> my comfortable chair in the family room. I already spend too
> much time in front of this box.

Right, and same for Vince and folks who like to read away from the
screen. I don't have a problem with that, but I am reminded of an
ongoing disagreement with one of my brothers: that in the time it takes
him to read today's printed newspaper, I've already looked at some two
dozen online newspapers from around the world. That's a night and day
difference, assuming the point is to gain knowledge.

More relevant to this topic is the matter of cost and revenues.
Multi-mode publishing is just more expensive then single mode. Given
that our larger common interest (even over creature comforts) is free or
low cost knowledge, then that should be the higher priority. Besides, we
can always print an article or two for the loo :)

On the subject of revenue producing angles, google has done some
interesting things that might be worth duplicating. We're presently
paying google $ 1.62 for click-throughs (with a monthly cap). It would
seem that a specific Fox-centric on-line publisher could do something
similar to build up revenue (and reduce subscription costs, maybe even
to 0)

BTW, is everyone catching "Download: The True Story of the Internet"
running on the Science channel on cable? We all know the story, but it's
an interesting summary anyway, and they are talking about which revenue
models are working better then others - google being the Big Example
these days.

> The paper subscription is being offered at cost based on
> discussions I have been a part of. Not bad considering it
> will be printed and mailed to you from Europe for a six bucks
> an issue.

Bill