Establish a robot process that automatically runs your routine every
night.
Have your routine maintain a last packed field in the table that lists
the tables your code maintains.
Have your process send an Email to the users whose sessions are holding
files open explaining why it is important for them to close the
application.
Finally have your process Email a report to someone who can do something
about files that have not been packed for X days.
You may want to have the system track who the "forgetful" users are.

HTH - Joe Yoder