> > If hiring people who share your political views is illegal, then how
do
> > the political machines themselves get away with it, since that's the
> > core of their existence?
>

>       Oh, c'mon, Bill, surely you're not that dense.

And that seemed like such an obvious question :)

>       You can only discriminate on criteria that are relevant
> to the job. If the job is a women's locker room attendant, you can
most
> certainly discriminate based on the sex of the applicant. If it is for
an
> accounting position, you can't.
>
>       We're talking about a software testing position. If you
> discriminate because they don't have the technical abilities, fine.
But to base
> your decision on their feelings about the Iraq war and occupation is
> not OK.

If I'm hiring someone for an important position in my company, the
better I understand that person's basic attitudes, the better we'll get
along, and something that 'subtle' can make the difference between
spending a career together or not. I don't think in terms of people
coming and going, but of building a company with people who will stay
around because this is where they want to be. I assume Mike isn't
looking for someone who will be gone next year, so I'm suggesting that a
basic attitude check up front is good for the long run.

Bill