Mike,

> We're hiring a new QA (quality assurance..."the grand
> tester").  We want to gauge not only a personality fit but of course
the analytical
> thinking skills of the candidate.  How would you best assess that if
you
> were responsible for interviewing this person?

The person you want must have an organized mind and be practiced in the
art, especially the part about using computers to be organized.

I'll assume it's a 'he' so I don't have to say he/she, but it could just
as easily be a she.

As the master inventor Edison put it, genius is 1% inspiration and 99%
perspiration. This person is necessarily the leader of the perspiration
part. He wants to make sure everything has a place and everything is in
it's place. He's list-centric. To test him, give him a short pile of
random, unorganized papers and have him note in the top left corner as
to where each paper belongs, and see if you and others involved agree.

He must also be part tech-writer, insofar as being able to diagram
thoughts and processes. To test, ask him to illustrate your hiring
process on one page in five minutes. Whatever he comes up with should be
instructive.

Assimilating this person presupposes an organization to begin with,
because nothing is more frustrating to this person then to be organized
in an unorganized world - with the exception of being brought in to do
the organizing part.

Do you have a master tasks/do-list and problem and change management
systems? He'll expect this. Do you have customer and developer level
manuals that he can access and update? Same.

Check his attitude. One destroyer in an office full of builders can
bring the whole thing down. To test, ask for his summary level thoughts
on Iraq and judge accordingly.

Have him past muster with as many people on your side as you can.

Check his references. Talk with two or more people who have actually
worked with him in the past. Ask what they liked and didn't like about
him. If they didn't like his smoking, you can make arrangements, but if
they didn't like his habit of not showing up for work, that's another
story.

When you have a good candidate, hire on a trial basis for a month or so,
to make sure he really is right for the job. Then, if he works out, be
generous with salary and liberal with bonuses to keep him on board and
happy.

Bill