On Jul 15, 2008, at 8:05 PM, John Harvey wrote:

> Let's go over it one more time, just to make sure you get it.
>
> Enemy of enemy = friend.
> Friend of enemy = enemy.
> Friend of friend = friend.
> Enemy of Friend = enemy.
>
> Lemme know if you need further instruction.

        OK, bear with me, 'cause I'm a little slow with this stuff...

        So Osama bin Laden was fighting the Russians in Afghanistan. Since
the Russians were our enemies, that makes him our friend. But then we
decide that Russians are our friends, so now, after arming bin Laden
with millions of dollars worth of weaponry and training, now he's our
enemy. Is that good so far?

        Now with Saddam, he was our friend because he was fighting Iran, who
was our enemy. But then we started warming up to Iran, and started
trading weapons with them. So that made Saddam our enemy. But now we
hate Iran again, so why didn't we make him our friend this time? Every
document recovered from the palace after our invasion showed that
Saddam was keeping up a macho pose in order to keep Iran at bay. So he
was the enemy of our enemy, and yet we invaded his country and killed
him?

-- Ed Leafe