Stephen Russell wrote:

> Is OrderNo int or nchar() ?  Hummm clastOrderNumber I am guessing that
> it is not a good index candidate for what your doing.
>
> have you checked the statistics?
>
> Here is a good overview with specific details on Index creation ins SQL
> Server:
> <http://www.sql-server-performance.com/tips/optimizing_indexes_general_p1.aspx>
>
> I bet the idea of  previous <-> next is a hold over from years gone by.
>
> why not get a record set back of 10-50 rows of the real key for the
> table Orders as well as the display of the Order Number.

I bet Steve's right that it's a holdover from yesteryear.  For no good
reason, many feel better with VCR buttons even though in most apps,
they're not practical.  I'd craft code that would grab the next
highest/lowest PK (assuming integer/numeric keys) by itself (e.g. SELECT
TOP 1 iid FROM MYTABLE WHERE iid>tiCurrentValue) and then use that
specific key in your real data grabbing query (SELECT <list of
fields...avoid * if you can to avoid pulling data you don't need> FROM
MYTABLE WHERE iid = tiKeyYouGotFromPreviousSQL).